background

welcome to Cherries and Figs- adventures in the kitchen. It's my place for jotting down food thoughts, delicious recipes, and all things culinary. So, sit down, get comfy and join me in my kitchen....

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Strawberry Shortcakes with Balsamic Vinegar and Sugar



This is my second post for the day but I just had to share this recipe. I was in a 'Welcome Spring' mood, trying to coax the season into coming just a little sooner by making a few recipes with fresh seasonal produce. I saw the bright red strawberries at the grocery store and their price couldn't be beat. I immediately thought- strawberry shortcakes! I went over to get a box of Bisquick baking mix (please don't judge- Bisquick has a wonderful recipe on the back of their box for delicious shortcakes and I love it for making fluffy pancakes). I knew my girls would LOVE this surprise for dessert, so in the cart went the box and strawberries.
As you can guess, I don't follow the recipe on the Bisquick box completely. Did you know that adding balsamic vinegar and sugar to a bowl of strawberries enhances the berry-ness, adds a note of complexity and makes a delicious syrup? Effortless and delicious. Instead of adding whipped topping to my shortcakes, I simply pour half and half over the entire thing. The half and half soaks into the shortcakes and is pure heaven. I hope you'll try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we do.

Strawberry Shortcakes (makes 6)
1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
1/4 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 1/3 c. Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. melted butter
half and half

Mix strawberries, 1/4 cup sugar and balsamic vinegar together in a bowl. Let sit on the side.
Meanwhile, heat oven to 425 degrees. Stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 Tbsp sugar and butter until soft dough forms. Divide dough into 6 portions and drop onto baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Split warm shortcakes, fill and top with strawberries and pour half and half over the top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment